Friday, February 18, 2011

What a week!

What a crazy rollercoaster of a week! Some days have been good, others just strange, and another one or two were simply no fun at all! As with every day, it is through the grace of God that I’ve made it through – that we’ve all made it through!
I have been extremely stressed between work, school, and some other more personal issues. I wish I had the answers to all of life’s questions. I do not though. I know we’re not supposed to, but I'm often anxious and worry a lot... I have been extremely challenged with some things and by some people the past few weeks. This week a few conversations got me to thinking about lots of other things. I quickly became feeling overwhelmed. Not only did I feel overwhelmed, I even felt under attack.
By Thursday, I was extremely frustrated. I ended up texting three select friends asking them to pray for me. All three responded with kind words. One said, “When you start wanting more of God and not just more of His things (i.e. blessings, peace, comfort….) Hell sits up and takes notice and sends out an all out attack. Just know, you’re on the right track when that happens”.  I was definitely feeling attacked from every direction! The last message I got was from a friend reminding me that, “Attacked does not mean defeated!” Boy, was I feeling defeated. Nothing was going right. One thing led to another, which led to another, which led to a snowball effect.
Speaking of a snowball effect, have you ever noticed that worry has that effect? You start to worry about one thing, which is somehow linked to another, then another, etc. Your job is related to the money you bring home. When you think about money, you think about paying the bills. When you think about the bills, you think about your electricity, cable, water, phone, etc. When you think about all of that, you think about your kids, and the list goes on and on. Somehow, things to always be intertwined.
If you’re like me, you worry a lot about the future. You may wonder “What If”. I do that all the time! What if this happens or that happens? What if it doesn’t happen? Will it ever happen? I despise myself for doing that because it really shows a lack of faith on my part. God says, “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen". – 1 Peter 5:6-11 (NIV).
If you’re like me, and need the reminder, here it is: God is in control! Cast your cares on him, and stop worrying about every minute detail of every situation. The devil will take any opportunity he can to cause you grief, pain, confusion, frustration, etc. Resist him! He does not have all of the power; God does!

1 comment: