Tuesday, November 23, 2010

3 more weeks!

In 3 short weeks I will be flying to Honduras! On Tuesday, December 14th, I will be flying out of Huntsville Airport at 6:30AM. I will be flying from there to Atlanta, Georgia. Hopefully, by 10:15 AM I will be leaving Atlanta and arrive in Tegucigalpa, Honduras at 1:10PM. I will be staying at the mission with Lee, Gracie, and the girls, in La Ermita, which is about an hour north of Tegucigalpa. The town of La Ermita is located in the municipio (county) of Talanga and in the departamento (state) of Francisco Morazan.

I am so excited that I can hardly stand myself. I feel full of purpose. I must admit, that I am getting a little nervous too. Life in Honduras is so different from here in the USA. The everyday things we take for granted aren’t commonplace in most of Honduras. Electricity, air conditioning, heat, clean running water, showers, and toilets aren’t found in every home like they are here in the USA.

I have a wonderful source in Honduras who has given me some information on La Ermita ; ). Gracie told me that approximately 80% of people in the town of La Ermita have electricity. The majority of those with electricity only have one or two light bulbs in use. There are VERY few cars. Approximately 20% or less has refrigerators. Luxuries like refrigerators and stoves to cook on are rare. There are approximately a dozen homes that actually have stoves you can cook on. The majority of people use regular wood fires. Maybe 1/3 or less of families have a television. Oftentimes, their family members who have come to the U.S. to work bring back televisions as gifts. Maybe a dozen homes have a toilet that flushes. The majority use an outhouse. 

Those of you, who know me, know that I will be taking pictures of all of this! I will be posting strange pictures of toilets and outhouses and anything else that catches my attention. Just be prepared!

2 comments:

  1. Many prayers and best wishes will be going with you!! I am so excited for you!! Life is about love, caring, change and adventure!!! I just know that you are "setting sail" on a wonderful adventure!!! All the people that you are about to meet are going to benefit so much from your loving care and they will all love you as much (well, almost) as we do!!! I love you, little one!!

    ReplyDelete