Sunday, November 21, 2010

Eyes

I was driving down the road the other day admiring the scenery around me. Since I was a child, I would ride down the road with my mother and comment on the mountains or the sky. I would tell her that things looked like a painting. Indeed, I still think it is. I believe it is the artwork of God. Only He could create such a beautiful landscape.
As I was driving, I realized how we take things, such as our vision, for granted. I found myself thanking God for my eyes. I know that sounds silly, but think about all of the things you like to look at; the faces of your children and grandchildren, a precious puppy or animal that brings you joy, the changing of the leaves in the fall, the beauty of the ocean, the dew on the grass, the fog on the ponds when you awaken early in the morning, or the color of the skies at sunrise and sunset. The list could go on and on.
I then thought about all of my senses. I thought about our sense of smell. The smell right after a rain, the flowers of spring, fresh-cut grass, the smell of cedar, the smell of a baby, your favorite incense or candle, coffee brewing, or the smell of your favorite food being prepared are some common favorites.
Imagine the sounds you like to hear. What comes to mind? Maybe you think about the voices of your husband, wife, and children. Maybe you contemplate other sounds like the rain, the ocean, the crackling of a fire, your favorite instrument, your favorite songs, and beautiful voices singing in harmony. Perhaps the sound of laughter, especially the laugh of a beautiful child brings you joy and even more laughter.
What about our sense of touch? The sense of touch is such a powerful thing. The warmth of a caring body can calm the cries of children. The holding of a hand can bring peace. You can’t put a price on the embrace of another when you are going through a challenging time. A simple hug can do the soul good. All of these beautiful senses and gifts come from God.  
In Matthew 13:16, Jesus says, “But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear”. Isaiah 40:26 says, “Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things…” May we never cease to remember where these amazing gifts come from!

No comments:

Post a Comment