Thursday, June 9, 2011

Akagera Game Park

After spending one night at the Iris Hotel in Kigali, Kinsey, Linda, Jan, and I woke up around 3:30 AM to be ready by 4:30 to leave for the Akagera game park. We met one of our ministry partners, Alex, who went to the park with us. Kinsey, Alex, and I (along with our driver) went in one vehicle. Linda, Jan, their driver, and later the safari guide went in the other vehicle. It was dark and foggy when we left. It was a little bit of a drive to the park, but so nice to see some of the country. I couldn't help but notice people pumping water from the wells everywhere during the morning. I couldn't help but thinking of Isaiah 12:2-3 which says, "Behold, God is my salvation: I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation."

I didn't get pictures of it because we drove by so quickly and because it was so foggy, but I watched young children work so hard that morning to pump water. The water isn't even good, clean water. Praise God that His well of salvation is never-ending and full of clean, pure, holy water that washes all of our sins away!

This is the room that Kinsey and I slept in at the Iris Hotel:
 Here are our mosquito nets:
 The Iris Restaurant:
 I took this photo later after sunrise of people getting water:
Me, Jan, Kinsey, & Linda just before entering the park.
 Our Safari guide:
Beautiful scenery:
I really like this photo:
 Tsessebe
 Antelope
 See the giraffe in the background?
 Beautiful
 Walking away
 Zebra - they were very shy.
 and so hard to get photos of!
 Black & White
 Pretty Colors
Me, Alex, Linda, Jan, & Kinsey.
 Water Buffalo
 Buffalo
 Another Tsessebe (they always looked just like a statue)
 A fish eagle
 The monkeys & baboons were so cute!
 I have no idea what kind of bird this is.
 I thought it was pretty cool though.
 Hippos!
How awesome is that?
 I just love being near the water!
 Anyone know what this is?
 There it goes!

After we left the game park we went back to the Iris Hotel to find everyone outside waiting on us. All of our ministry partners and coaches were there. It was such an incredible blessing to meet all of them! At that point, we had no idea who we would be working with over the next few weeks, but it didn't matter. It was a blessing just to see and meet our brothers and sisters in Christ! From there we loaded up in the vans and made the 3-4 hour drive to the Peace Land Hotel in Gisenyi, Rwanda.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I really enjoyed your blog! I also admire the way you are truly seeking the Heart of Christ through missions. Be encouraged and keep it up!

    P.s. To answer your question, the lizard crossing the road in your picture is a Nile Monitor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure who wrote this, but thank you so much for the encouraging words! Also, thank you for telling me what that giant critter was. A Nile Monitor... So good to know! ;)

    ReplyDelete