Thursday, June 30, 2011

Home

I love those moments with God when He reminds you of your place in this world. I’ve been struggling here lately to find my place... I don’t know where I’m supposed to be when it comes to any part of my life. God gave me a gentle reminder this morning though. He reminded me that this is not my home, and He reiterated to me that He is my Father. Hallelujah and Amen right there!

I was reminded through a song and of course by the Holy Spirit. It’s a song that I’ve heard part of before, but that I’ve always turned off until the next song comes on the radio. It’s not that I didn’t think the song was pretty. The beginning words always made me sad though. Let me explain. The song starts off by saying, “I'm gonna wrap my arms around my daddy's neck and tell him that I've missed him. And tell him all about the man that I became and hope that it pleased him”. For someone like me who has never known their biological father or grown up with a father-figure, this song can be discouraging.

This morning on my way to work when the song came on the radio, I didn’t turn it off. I listened and became uplifted and encouraged. I just read the book “Heaven is for Real”. It is about a 3 year old boy who goes to heaven for 3 minutes. His time in heaven seems to last much longer than 3 minutes though. During his time there he gets to spend time with God and Jesus. As the boy gets older and slowly talks about his time in heaven, he talks about how much God loves the little children. He loves them so much. God loves His children!

I don’t for one second believe that I’ll be running up to my biological father in heaven and putting my arms around his neck. Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that You will be there though. My Abba, My Heavenly Father, is there waiting on me. How encouraging and exciting is that to know that your Heavenly Father is in heaven waiting on the day when all of His children will be gathered together with Him! I couldn’t help but be blessed when I thought about others who will be there… Oh my! I wanted to stop and make a list right there. As soon as I did that though, I would surely leave someone out. I’m just wanting to tell everyone right now how loved they are. God loves you!

I see how excited empty-nesters get when they have all of their children home again. Can you imagine how glorious that day will be when we’ll all be gathered in heaven? Can you imagine the sense of peace, yet the eternal rejoicing? Joy floods my soul as I think about it! I suppose it sound silly, but can you imagine how pleased God will be to have all of His children together in that eternal place of glory? I cannot even fathom what that day will be like. I am so ready for it though!

The more I thought about all of that this morning, the more I was reminded of how this is not our home. I may not know what I’m supposed to do next. In the big scheme of things, it’s not a huge deal though. I couldn’t help but think of II Timothy 4:6-8, “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing”.

We are all in this race together. Let’s remember that this is not our home. There are better things (for all eternity) to come. Let’s encourage each other and lift one another up in our times of need. Let’s continue to fight the good fight and just keep running. And if you don’t have the strength to run (physically, spiritually, or otherwise) then I encourage you to put one foot in front of the other at whatever pace you can bear. Know that your Heavenly Father is always with you (Hebrews 13:5). You also have brothers and sisters in Christ who are here ready to help you take the next step when you feel you can’t take it alone.

You can listen to the song "Finally Home" by Mercy Me at: http://youtu.be/HZorhLw0d8A

1 comment: