Wednesday, July 20, 2011

James 3

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.” ~ James 3: 13-18

I’ve been experiencing a lot of confusion lately. When I read this scripture, I couldn’t help but wonder if it’s because I’m seeking what I want instead of what He wants. I fear we all of that problem. We all hear that confusion doesn’t come from God. Verse seventeen tells us that the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peacable, gentle, willing to yield, etc. Wow, that last one really got me! Willing to yield... That challenged my heart. Am I really willing to yield to Him? And if I am, will I do it without grumbling or complaining?

I’ll be honest with you. The answer here lately is a simple no. I may not be verbally complaining a lot, but I’ve certainly been questioning His methods and grumbling to Him. Someone sent me a sweet text message yesterday morning. I was in a strange mood yesterday though. Something in the message made me question things. After some self-examination I realized that I simply wasn’t where I needed to be with Him.

God has taken care of me in so many circumstances. He has put a roof over my head when I didn’t know where I would live. He has put food in my stomach when I didn’t know where my next meal would come from. He has divinely placed people in my life at just the right time to strengthen and encourage me in this journey we call life. He has been there every step of the way for me, and I had the audacity to question His methods? Yesterday was a major reality check.

I don’t understand a lot of things. I don’t think I ever will. One thing I do know and should never question is that God is sovereign and righteous. He is all knowing, all mighty, and all powerful. While that is awesome, it’s also scary. He has brought down entire nations for their disobedience. I certainly do not want to be one that He brings down because of any disobedience, hypocrisy, or sin in my life.

I fear that I’m not as humble and meek as I should be. My prayer today is that He would continue to reveal the errors of my ways to me and help me to change and grow, so I would become more like Him. I pray that He would remove any envy, resentment, pain, or strife from my heart so confusion would cease and His unfathomable peace and wisdom would prevail. I want my life to bear good fruit here and throughout the entire world. Pray for me that I would be willing to yield to Him at all times and in all ways, so I will be able to recognize and know His will in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment