Friday, July 8, 2011

Josiane

There are some things in life that you'll never forget. Rwanda is something I'll never forget. There are also some people in life that you'll never forget. There are some people that you meet that you instantly have a connection with. With today's technology in America we can practically talk to each other every day. Still, I find myself missing people I get to talk to (usually via text or email) all of the time. I miss them because I don't get to hear their voices or see their faces. I miss them because I don't get to feel their embrace and have that one on one presence. There are some people who you meet that just do something to you. They somehow change you and become a part of you. It's like you know that you'll never be the same without them in your lives. You want them around and don't want to ever find out what life would be like without them. Some call it kindred spirits. Some are children that just tug at your heart strings. They have those eyes and faces that just... You know... Other individuals may just have something special about them that you can't put your finger on. I believe many are just connections made by God that are simply unexplainable, but bestow blessings upon us that are often unimaginable or indescribable, yet so incredible.

Tonight as I find myself missing people. I've been sitting here looking at pictures of loved ones. In doing so, I started going through pictures and videos of Rwanda. I'm supposed to be studying, but my mind is elsewhere. As I was going through videos,  I came across this video of Josiane. Josiane is one of those people that I'll never forget. She's one of those that I wanted to hold onto and never let go. She is a darling little girl I met our first day in Hangali in Rwanda. 

I'm not lying when I say she was the most faithful member of the church; at least in my eyes. There was one day that we said we would be there at 11. We showed up and no one was there. It was very discouraging that no one was there. But wait! Someone was there. Josiane was there. Josiane was always there. She was always there singing and dancing as best her little body could. Josiane followed me throughout the village every day. After the first day she followed me and held my hand everywhere we went. When others saw her doing it, they would also grab my hand or even grab her hand. At times, I would have chains of kids holding hands walking beside me all because of the faith and trust Josiane had in this Muzungu.

Josiane wore the same dress and jacket every day. Her nose was always running. Like the majority of school-aged girls, her head was shaved. I never saw her with supervision of any sort. She was always alone, which wasn't unusual to see. In fact, I'd say it's the norm in third-world countries. Some days she was standing in the muddy road waiting on our van to arrive. She would smile the biggest smile when we would pull up and run around the van until she found me. She always made my day. In all honesty, if that was the only thing that happened every day, I would have been happy. God always did so much more though. He blessed me with Josiane in Hangali, but as He always does, He exceedingly and abundantly met our expectations for the church.

Below is a video of little Josiane dancing at the church. This beautiful girl was in the front row every day. I know she's small, but she listened to every message with such intensity. She even came up to be saved very early in the week. I don't even have words for this little girl. She's been discussed on facebook. She was called "my girl" on the trip. Every day when we got to the village, I would say, "where's my girl?" I wasn't at ease until I saw her precious face. I pray that this video blesses you. It sure does bless my soul!

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. ~ Matthew 18:1-3

I suppose it sounds silly, but I pray that I would be more like Josiane. I pray that I would have that kind of faith and trust again. The kind of faith and trust that hasn't been harmed by a world full of lies, deceit, hatred, violence, poverty, war, and every other negative thing you can think of. I pray that my heart would be full of forgiveness, joy, charity, kindness, love, and everything that is of Him so I can have the purity and innocence of a child again. I pray that I would become more like her where I would be one of the first to get to church and one of the last to leave. I hope to listen more than I speak and to listen with her kind of intensity. I pray that I would have the boldness to sing and dance for the Lord too instead of being so shy and self-conscious. Lord, give me a child-like heart!






2 comments:

  1. How precious! Kind of makes you wonder if you were "sent to her" or if she was "sent to you" - either way, "Thanks Be To God!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she was sent just for me!

    ReplyDelete