Sunday, March 6, 2011

One foot in front of the other

I did something I never do when I woke up this morning. You’ll never guess what it was! I woke up and walked on the treadmill. It’s something I know I need to do, but honestly can’t ever find (or make) the time to do. I didn’t have anything pressing today, so I did that before I got in the shower and got into anything else.
I took my IPOD with me and listened to Casting Crowns. I was having a good time walking and singing and lifting my hands to the Lord. At some point, I looked down. I watched my feet moving in perfect precision; one foot in front of the other. I got to thinking about this journey called life. As I was walking to a preset program, the treadmill increased. It almost felt too fast, but I was able to get back into a rhythm. When the treadmill sped up, I got to thinking about so many times in my life where I just wanted to hit the fast forward button. I’ve wanted to do it with school. I just want to be done and be in the career of my choosing. I’ve wanted to fast forward through painful and challenging times to a place and time where things can just be calm and peaceful. That just isn’t how life works though.
We can’t fast forward through things. We have to walk through them. Sometimes we can take great strides, while at other times we have to take baby steps. I couldn’t help but an email I got the other day. It said something like we weren’t promised that life with Christ would be easy. We were promised that it would be worth it though! Isaiah 40:31 says, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint”. I know it’s not always easy, but Hebrews 12:1 says, “..let us run with patience the race that is set before us”. I don’t know how long your race is. I don’t know the speed you’re traveling. What I do know is that from time to time, we are going to feel so tired and weak that we feel like we can’t go on. My message to you is to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. God is with you and he will not let you faint. You will win the race!

1 comment: