Monday, March 14, 2011

Why can't you just be like everyone else?

So the other day, I was challenged with a question. The question was, “Why can’t you just be like everyone else?” In my childhood and teenage years, I longed to be like everyone else. I wanted to wear the same clothes others wore, talk the way they talked, do the things they did, etc. That simply isn’t the case now. Why should I or any of us want to be like others when God created us to be uniquely different? Don’t get me wrong, I have a few people in my life who I admire more than you could imagine. I am drawn to them though because they understand what I’m about to write and because, as I recently told one, it permeates in everything they do.

First of all, we shouldn’t (just) strive to be like those around us.  We were created in His image; not the image of “everyone else”! Genesis 1:27 says, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them”. Child of God, God doesn’t want you to be like everyone else. He wants you to be like Him.

Another scripture that is important to grasp is Romans 12:2. It says, “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God”. God wants us to be willing to let go of the strongholds of this world, so He can transform and use us for His glory.

To whomever is reading this… You don’t have to be like everybody else. You can be more! You were thought of and loved by God before you were ever conceived. Psalm 139:14 says, “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. God made you uniquely special! I pray that each of you knows this. I also pray that if you are reading this and have children, that you will be sure to let them know just how special they are to you, but more importantly, how special they are to God. Remind yourself and others that we are unique and valuable.

I love the fact that God knows us better than we know ourselves. Luke 12:7 says, “But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows”. Do you know how many hairs you have on your head? I sure don’t! God does though. He knows it all. He knows everything about you; your heart, your pain, your struggles, your past, your future, etc. He knows it all and He wants you to know that you are special, valuable, and that He loves you unconditionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment