Sunday, December 19, 2010

Good day in Honduras

It's been a good day in Honduras. I slept well last night. I slept with the fan on, which helped block out some of the noise. I'm still having some stomach issues, but things seem to be under control now. Gracie has been taking great care of me with soups, jello, Gatorade's, etc.

I have thoroughly enjoyed today. I've got to spend a lot of time with Cindy and Karla, which is beyond a blessing. They are such sweet girls. Alejandro is a doll. I've got to spend lots of time holding him and loving on him.

Right now Gracie and Kristian are gone to get Shari some medicine. She thinks she has a kidney infection. As I type, Lee is working with Cindy on math and counting. Karla is feeding the baby. Shari is looking at the Spanish dictionary, and I am at Gracie's computer.

We had soup for lunch and dinner today. I just had some awesome tortilla things with refried beans and some sort of white creme in them. They were muy delicioso. Gracie told me what they are called. I can't remember though. Even if I could, I probably couldn't spell it!

I still find life in Honduras to be very raw. Today, Gracie, Kristian, and I walked around La Ermita. We went from house to house writing down names of kids for a Christmas gifts on Christmas gifts. There were some excited kids. We ended up having kids running down the streets to give us their info.

The people here are so kind. They would get up from their seats and offer them to us. We saw people of many ages. At one home there was several generations. The grandfather was 98 years old and the grandmother was 90. Lots of kids everywhere. Sometimes up to 20 people in one tiny house. Lots of kids roaming around. They crawl on their hands and feet on the ground - the same ground that the cows, pigs, horses, and chickens are walking on, pooping on, urinating on, etc. It's very unsanitary. We walked past one house with a little boy drinking dirty water with bacteria in it. I asked Gracie is it was the unsanitary water. She said yes. She said they aren't rich like us. They can't buy clean bottled water. It really bothered me. I cannot imagine...

Tomorrow we go to Orica and Guamica (spell check). I'm not sure what time we have to get up, but I'm sure it will be early. It should be another fun day though. I can't wait to see all of those little faces again. I missed seeing them Friday afternoon.

Karla just asked me about my luggage. It hasn't come. I think it's in la la la somewhere. I feel badly. There isn't anything in there that I can't live without. The only thing that is really bugging me are the Christmas gifts for the girls.

I am in a much better frame of mind today, so I want to share something with you. On my first night here, I asked Shari about flushing the toilets. She told me something that was almost poetic. "If it's only pee, let it be. If it's brown, flush it down". That is hilarious. Speaking of which, here are a few photos of the bathroom.

 The toilet. You throw the tissue in the trash can.
I have formed a very special relationship with the two bathroom stalls. I think I am going to borrow Kristian's pocket knife and carve my name or at least my initials in the wooden door. Not really, but I've considered it. I've spent so much time in there. It is really getting personal. lol.
The shower. You fill the bucket and have at it!

3 comments:

  1. We're so thankful you're feeling better. We missed you at the Christmas play tonight. The "shaggy smelly sheep" were so cute. All the children did a wonderful job just like always. Take care of yourself & enjoy the work you're doing. "Brighten the corner where you are." Love you! Randy & Joy (triste saco)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, Our christmas program was this morning at 11 am and was called city of light. I think we did very well. I had two solo's and I felt to so bad for your mom. She finally got my cold and could barely whisper. She was not going to sit in the choir and I went an got her and told her she needed to sit with us after practicing all this time. She did sit with the choir and I am glad she did. I am just sorry she and you are so sick. I this a family trait and should I be worried. Just kidding, I feel so bad because I feel she caught this crude from me. She is a little better already I can tell. Don't over do it tomorrow and have wonderful blessed day. Hasta La Vista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog! LOVE THE PICTURES! I can understand your attachment with the "necessary room" - and the shower, is, well, :( . But, on the upside and thankfully it is a private place inside!
    So glad you are able to continue on with your work. Each day you will be stronger and stronger.
    Maybe your luggage will eventually show up and the girls will get their gifts and they will be glad whenever it might be.
    Don't worry - all is well! Hope Shari feels better soon, too!
    Looking forward to hearing about another great day!

    ReplyDelete