Friday, December 10, 2010

Mt. Zion

I can’t believe it! After a long day of work, I came home and took my last final. Gracie, you will be glad to know that I did exactly what you told me to do! After doing a small assignment on Friday, I will be done for the semester. I do love school, but I will enjoy the break. Especially since I will be leaving for Honduras in 5 days! It seems somewhat surreal. Just a few months ago, I thought this time would never get here. Now, I am rushing around trying to get things ready!
I couldn’t go to bed without saying again how thankful I am for all of you who are praying for me and who are helping me in any way on this journey to Honduras. After an amazing day Wednesday, I came home at 2:30 AM and discovered an envelope with my name on it. I was so exhausted that I didn’t open it. I took it to work with me to work today. When I had a spare moment, I opened the envelope to find another generous donation. I know I mentioned Friendship UMC yesterday, but let me take a moment to mention Mt. Zion Baptist Church today.
I began going to Mt. Zion in 2001, at the age of 16. In December, at the age of 17, I was saved and baptized in that beautiful church. When I left for my first year of college, my church family was extremely supportive. They literally provided me with just about everything I had in my small apartment. I can still remember who gave me silverware, cups, towels, a microwave, a vacuum, a sofa, a recliner, etc. I still remember who helped me move the stuff. It meant so very much to me and is etched in my heart and mind.
For a few years there, I was out of church. After I worked through some things and was ready to go back, I was welcomed with open arms. Not only was I welcomed into the church family again, I was welcomed into the home and lives of a couple that I go to church with. They were willing to help me in a time of need. Bless their hearts; they are still stuck with me! ; )
Some of the very same people who helped me get off to college that first year are now helping me on the road to Honduras. I was so nervous the day I spoke to Mt. Zion about the call God had placed on my heart. Asking for help is definitely something I have never liked doing. Still, I couldn’t talk about what was on my heart without crying. I remember typing something up beforehand, but I didn’t use it. God gave me the words.
After I spoke to Mt. Zion, I was overwhelmed with an outpouring of love and support. By the end of that day, I had enough money to get my first rounds of immunizations. The following Sunday, there was a Sunday school room full of gifts to mail to Honduras. Still, I am receiving donations, kind words, and encouragement. I can honestly say that I would not be going on this trip without the financial support of individuals and families at Mt. Zion. I don’t know what I would have done without you all! I am grateful that you let God speak to your hearts and are willing to help! Each one of you are near and dear to my heart!

1 comment:

  1. When I was a child I used to go to Mt Zion with our neighbor lady, Inez. I really enjoyed going there and it is a great family to be apart of. It's wonderful how they've helped you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete