Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hands and feet

I honestly don't have any words for this day. It's like talking about Jesus - no words suffice. Honduras is beautiful and exotic, yet raw and simple.

Today began at 5AM. My roommate (Shari) actually got confused and woke up at 3AM. Her clock got messed up. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. I prayed that God would keep me refreshed today though, and He has.

We travelled to Vallecillo today. We traveled over three mountain ranges (not mountains, but ranges). We in Marshall & Dekalb counties complain about Dekalb County roads. We have no idea! These roads are insane! Rocks, mud, water, etc. We even drove through rivers. It took two and a half hours to get there and back. It was our only event today. We have two scheduled for tomorrow though.

The Event... What can I say? I still don't have words that are adequate. The mayor and people of Vallecillo were so welcoming. The kids were amazing and beautiful. We had a list with one hundred names to give gifts to. Once word spread, kids began pouring in. We ended up giving out 243 gifts today. We took pictures of each child. It was amazing.

I had two "moments" today. I don't know what else to call them. The first was when I was down on my knees to greet an adorable little guy. I handed him his gift and he literally fell into my arms. He needed to be held. He didn't just hug me though. He wouldn't let go. He squeezed me so tightly. I continued to hold him. It took everything I had not to start bawling. Lee told me that it was okay and to just let go. What an amazing blessing that moment was. It will be forever etched into my heart, mind, and spirit.

The other moment was again on my knees. I was on my knees during a lot of the event. I wanted to be at eye level with these children. To look at them and say Feliz Navidad and Te Amo (Merry Christmas and I love you) was such a blessing. It wasn't about me. Not at all. It was all about these children and the love that Christ has for them.

After we went through the list, we just let the kids come in. This time I was on my knees to match their feet with appropriate sized flip flops. When seeing and touching their dirty feet, legs, and hands, I thought about Jesus. I thought about being at His feet. I have been praying that He would use me. I wanted to be His hands and feet. Today, I felt confirmation that I'm on the right road.

I will try to post some pictures later. There really isn't a lot of time. I have also taken almost 400 in the day and a half that I've been here. I don't know how I will ever choose! Mas tardes!

6 comments:

  1. WOW.....I can't wait to keep hearing the update. AND YES, it is okay to cry...to show your love for them; compassion. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Dekalb & Marshall county roads are icy today. It sounds like you had a beautiful day. It won't hurt you to be a squawl bag. If it would, I'd have been a goner. Praying for more blessing filled days for you, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bawling is good for the soul!!! I'd have been a goner long ago too if being a bawl-bag hurt you...lol!!! I am so happy for the lives being touched there & how they will affect you forever!!! Miss you something terrible!!!
    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come Holy Spirit Come Fill the Hearts of your faithful and send them out to minister to all who are in need and hunger for the Love of Christ. Every moment every touch is a God Moment and a touch from the hand of God. The words of a Steve Green song keep coming to me for you. "I will go where there are no easy roads, leave the comforts that I know. I will go and let this journey be my home, I will go. I will go. I'll let go of my ambition. Cut the roots that run too deep. I will learn to give away, what I cannot really keep. What I cannot really keep. Help me see with eyes of Faith, give me strength to run this race. I will go Lord where Your Glory is unknown. I will live for You alone. I will go because my life is not my own. I will go. I will go. I will go.
    Go with God Bridget, Gracie and Lee I hope you feel his power and Love and as you give it all away may He fill you to overflowing, again and again. When you talked of putting the flip flops on the dirty feet, I immediately thought of Jesus as he washed the desciples feet. I know you do not cry easily but it made me cry, tears of joy. In His service and praying your words would be His words. Love John
    PS a friend of Lee's from Huntsville was so excited that you were going to be with Lee and Gracie. Her name is Carol Gullatt. You met her one night at Safe Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridet, The WORD for you today. Psalm 126:3-6
    "The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Restore our fortunes, Lord, like streams in the Negev. Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. Those who go out weeping , carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them." Even when sowing is accompanied by trouble and sorrow, harvest brings Joy and He promises for you to return with songs of joy and carrying a harvest. The WORD of God will not return empty. Go with God and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridget,
    Thank you for letting God use you. You are a Blessing. I needed to be lifted up and God used you to do that for me just now.
    I look forward to your postings and please don't call it "bawlings" call it "Showers from Heaven". Thank you again.
    Because of HIS Amazing Grace.
    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete