Sunday, January 16, 2011

How and Who?

Wow! What an amazing day this has been. I feel so blessed and wrapped in love. Not only that, but I find myself falling in love with others… Not in the romantic sense, but in the Jesus sense. I’ve been praying and praying to have a heart like His. I’ve been praying that I have the love that He has for others. I’ve been seeking to learn His ways. During daily frustrations at work and elsewhere, I find myself contemplating how Jesus would have react instead of hastily saying or doing something. Believe me; I’m far from where I need to be. I fail Him every day. He is and will always be working on me. Still, I can feel and see Him moving and working in my life, and it is incredible.  
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. I am overwhelmed with God’s amazing love, mercy, and bigness. Earlier in the week I was invited to a church service in Athens. It was mentioned to me two different times by two different people. Visiting there has been on my “to do” list for months now. I had good intentions, but as we all know, that simply isn’t enough. Anyway, I knew that I had to go. I didn’t just want to. I needed to. It took some doing, but God is faithful and makes a way when it is His will.
At church today where husband and wife missionaries. They travel to India and Rwanda. I read “Left to Tell” by Imaculee Ilibagiza on the way to and from Honduras on the plane. It is about the Rwandan Holocaust/Genocide and was written by a survivor. It was one of the most amazing books I’ve read in awhile. Rwanda has been on my heart and mind ever since.
I was not only blessed with the amazing opportunity to meet this couple, but I was also invited to lunch with them and another family that I am growing increasingly fond of. At church and during lunch I heard some amazing stories: Stories of thousands of people in Rwanda coming to Christ. Stories of the same people who were once segregated, living together. Stories of people who once hunted and murdered others, now living in peace with the people the once hated with such a dark, evil passion. Only God could make such dramatic changes.
I also heard a little bit about India. People in India have never even heard the name of Jesus. Can you imagine? Let that sink in for a moment... People here in the states may choose not to accept Jesus as their personal savior, but they’ve more than likely heard His name at some point. People in India and other countries have NEVER heard His name. It makes me think of Romans 10:17, which says, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God”. We know the word of God. They don’t. Who do you suppose is going to tell them? How will they learn of the one true God? How are they to know that Jesus came and died for their sins? Who is going to tell them that there is a life beyond this one that is far better? Who is going to tell them of that place where no more pain and suffering exists? How are they to know the glory of God and that they can spend eternity in a place called Heaven where you never have to deal with the battles of the flesh?
I just thought of an email that I received several years ago. It said:
This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got upset about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.

I could only think about work when I read this before, but not anymore. I am now thinking about the body of Christ. We have a work to do. All of us. We can all do something – Everybody. Don’t wait on Somebody or Anybody else to do it. Chances are that Nobody will do it.

Faith comes by hearing. Hearing comes by the word of God. So, who is going to tell these people that have never heard, and how are they going to hear if we don't go?

1 comment: