Friday, January 21, 2011

Plans

When asked a couple of weeks ago to speak at a small Bible study group, I immediately said “Yes”. I knew I needed to go, but what to say was beyond me. I’ve never taught a Sunday School class or done a devotion. Public speaking has never been a skill of mine. In all honesty, if anyone had asked me in the past, I would have said “No”. Come to think of it, I have said “No”. Nonetheless, God has been working on me and with me. This time, I said “Yes”.

I had no idea what to do devotion about. I knew I would be talking about Honduras, but I needed to more than that. The topic(s) became pretty obvious once I sat still for a few moments and listened. I began by simply reading about the life of Jesus. While reading in Matthew 4:18-22, something caught my eye. The Bible says, “And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them. And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him”.

Two things really struck me about these verses. The first was that God called regular people to be his disciples. They were just regular people like you and me! That’s kind of hard to fathom. He could have chosen anyone. He could have chosen kings who were wealthy or people who were well-known and high in society. Instead, the King of Kings preferred ordinary people. I think by using regular people, it brings more glory and honor to him. It reminds others that God can use ordinary people to do extraordinary things. I often stand in awe when I think about the journey to Honduras. First of all, for God to call me, of all people, to go is pretty insane. I am the least worthy of anyone I know. I, of all people, didn’t deserve to receive such a blessing. I also can’t help but stand in awe when I realize that there is no way I could have gotten there on my own. It was all God.

The second thing that struck me about these verses is how as soon as God called Simon Peter, Andrew, James, and John they immediately dropped what they were doing and followed Him. They didn’t wait around and talk it over. They didn’t finish mending their nets or tying up loose ends. They went straight forth to Jesus. I think Jesus should command that kind of attention in our life. Unfortunately, we often don’t take the time to listen and pay attention to God’s call on our lives. I am as guilty as anyone of that. I think at other times, we simply don’t want to do what he expects of us. He may show us the narrow path to follow, but we may choose not to because of what others think or maybe because it just seems too hard.

Speaking of difficult things, Matthew 5:10-12 says, “Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you”. I have found this scripture to be true for as long as I’ve been a Christian. I was saved in my senior year of high school. Before being saved I was willing to sort of go along with the crowd. I would occasionally (not often) go to a party. I would drink when I was expected to drink. Before that, I smoked when it was socially acceptable. After being saved in December of 2001, at the age of 17, I wasn’t the same. My friends didn’t want to hang out with me anymore because I didn’t want to party, cuss, drink, and gossip anymore. I was simply no fun to be around. Even now, when trying to answer the call God has placed on my heart, I face persecution. So many people thought I was crazy for going to a third-world country. So many thought I could stay and do things here. Fortunately, I have grown in my faith a lot the past few years, and especially the past few months. I know that if God calls us to do something, we need to do it, no matter what anyone else thinks or says. Ultimately, it is only what God thinks that truly matters. Our lives should be pleasing to Him.

I don’t want to bore anyone, but I feel like I need to go a step further. Jesus doesn’t just want us to go around and haphazardly do things. Jesus says in Matthew 5:14-16, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven”.

I know we all think of Jesus as being the light of the world. He absolutely is the light of the world! Scripture clearly tells us that we are to be the light of the world too though. It is our responsibility as Christians to let his glorious light shine through us. Letting this light shine doesn’t have to be through big, extravagant measures; it can be done by smiling at others. It can be shown by asking someone how they’re doing and actually taking the time to listen and show concern. Maybe you could volunteer your time or visit the sick, elderly, widowed, etc. Maybe you could simply go speak to someone who seems to need of a word of encouragement.

You don’t have to travel half-way across the world to shine your light. Don’t get me wrong; if God calls you to do that, I suggest you do. Nonetheless, we aren’t all meant to do the same thing. God equipped each one of us with unique talents that can help bring glory and honor to Him. If you can sing, sing. If you can play the guitar or piano, then play the guitar or piano. If you can write, then write.

I’m sure some of you are sitting here wondering what your gifts are.  I’m not going to lie; I am still searching for some of mine. For the longest time, I didn’t think I had one. God reminded me time and time again though that we all have something. If you haven’t figured out what yours is yet, don’t fret. Pray that God would reveal them to you, because they are there. God created you for a purpose. He knows that purpose, and in time it will be revealed to you.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord… “plans to give you hope and a future”. As a child or a teenager or even in my early twenties, I could have never guessed that I would go to Honduras one day. That definitely wasn’t part of my plan. It was part of His plan though. Getting to where I could see that part of the plan took years of hurt, pain, and frustration. I believe now though, that it was all just preparation for things to come. Just remember that there is a plan. God knows it all. Fortunately, we don’t have to know the entire plan to let our light shine. God will show us the path. We may have to take baby steps, but that’s okay. Follow him one step at a time and let our light shine a little more each step of the way. Be Blessed!

1 comment: