Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pots & Boxes

My co-worker, Glenda, shared this with me yesterday. She said it came from the 1st page of the 2011 calendar by Thomas Kinkade:
“I believe we all have a higher purpose to our lives than merely existing day to day. Each of us, in our own unique way, is called to let our light shine. The unique, one-of-a-kind canvas of our existence is meant to be an inspiration to others – a true joy to behold and a heaven-sent blessing to those we meet and to the world around us”.
When I read that I couldn’t help but think of a couple of conversations in Honduras. Two different analogies were used; one by Gracie and the other by her nephew, Kristian. I hope I do them justice. The first one was that we are all like clay pots. The other is like us being a cardboard boxes. Each time we are wounded, you can put a whole in the box. In the case of the pot, when broken, you can piece it back together. Either way, those places that are broken and wounded leave a place for light to shine through. If we let it, the light and love of God can shine through us. He can use all things, even our brokenness for good.
Think about all of the wounds you’ve received throughout your life. Think about all of those fractures and holes in your heart and spirit that you thought would never be repaired. What has all of that damage done to you? Has it made you bitter and hard-hearted or are you letting His light shine through all of those cracks and crevices to try to do good?
Isaiah 64:8 says, “But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand”. That verse came to mind when having those conversations with Gracie and Kristian. That verse just reminds me that my entire life is in His hands. He created me and when it is time, He will take me home. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose”. Just another reminder than He can use ALL THINGS for good.
I firmly believe that is what He is doing in Honduras at Heart of Christ ministries. Each person there during the holidays has been a victim of some sort of abuse. Each has struggled, but each chose to let God use those bad things to help others… to let His light shine through… to do some good. I can’t help but wonder, what are your wounds? Have you tried to bury them or are you letting God’s light shine through to heal you and to help heal others?

2 comments:

  1. Bridget, don't forget that you don't just have to be in Honduras for God to use you, HE can use you here. He may use the expereince you had there to help people here.
    I know I have been through what I call "tests", I try to learn them as quickly as possible so I won't have to go through them again. Somewhere through my journey of life God brings someone into my life who needs to here "Yes, I have been there, and yes I made it through, and yes you will too, if you will trust in God and let HIM carry you through it."
    I love you Bridget you have such a tender loving heart. You are truly amazing to have given and done what you did.
    You are so trusting and obient to the will of God, and for that I am thankful and will always be thankful. I admire you and I want you to remember there are lives you have and will continue to touch that you will never know. Even when you get discouraged, you must know that God is using you!!!!!
    Because of HIS Amazing Grace.
    Your Sister in Christ,
    Love,
    Mary Spurgeon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was good questions to ask ourselves! Are we trying to put patches over our "cracked" places so they are not noticable to others OR are we choosing to let HIS light shine through them?
    GLENDA

    ReplyDelete